You’ve squeezed the last, stubborn drops from your current tube of toothpaste, so you make a quick run to the store to shop for a new one. Simple task, right? Then you reach the wall of toothpaste options. There’s toothpaste in different colours, and for specific age-groups. There are fancy added ingredients, and bare-bones offerings. Some brands say they will whiten your teeth, while others will strengthen your enamel.
So, which toothpaste do you choose? The answer depends on your oral health, personal preferences, and any specific needs outlined by your dentist. If you’re shopping for children or older family members, then there are a few more variables to add to the equation. We’ve got you covered with our guide for everything you need to know about picking the right toothpaste from the experts at our dental clinic in downtown Calgary.
Simplify Toothpaste Shopping by Understanding Your Needs
We’ve come a long way from the days when toothpaste was made from ground ox hooves and crushed egg shells. In fact, most of the toothpaste that you find on the shelves will do a perfectly adequate job of cleaning your teeth. But we’re not aiming for adequate. By understanding your unique needs, you can pick the option that best strengthens the long-term health of your teeth and gums.
- Nearly every type of toothpaste features an abrasive agent, detergent and flavouring. The abrasive and detergent are for cleaning, and the flavour provides a pleasant taste. If you’re not a fan of the common mint flavour, there are plenty of other options available!
- Fluoride is a key ingredient, because it strengthens the enamel layer that protects your teeth from decay. Calgary’s water isn’t fluoridated, so opting for fluoride is a good choice, especially if you’re caring for your teeth over 60 or helping your child with oral hygiene.
- Toothpaste for children comes in an especially wide range of colours and flavours. Choosing a “fun” toothpaste can be an effective way to encourage good oral health habits for your children, without sacrificing any key ingredients. Be sure to fluoride free toothpaste until they can follow instructions to spit out the toothpaste after brushing. Many kid-friendly formulas have reduced fluoride as well. Fluoride is vital for strengthening enamel and preventing decay…we just don’t want too much for the little guys!
- With seniors fighting dry mouth or root decay there are toothpastes with higher fluoride concentrations that dentists will sometimes recommend.
- There are also toothpastes that target dry mouth. If they have any questions it’s best to ask the dentist or their hygienist etc…
- Children are especially prone to cavities, so it’s also wise to consider preventive maintenance. Dental sealants provide extra protection for your child’s teeth, and help keep tooth decay at bay.
- Sensitive teeth are painful, especially when eating or drinking. Toothpastes formulated for sensitive teeth can help to minimize sensitivity over time. It often takes a few weeks for the ingredients to take effect, so don’t give up if it doesn’t work right away.
- Tartar is a tough, hard substance that can only be removed by your dentist, and tartar buildup has a negative impact on oral health. While tartar control toothpaste won’t remove tartar that has already formed, it will help you avoid more buildup in the future.
- Health benefits come first, but toothpaste has other perks, too. Whitening is a popular cosmetic dentistry procedure, and most major brands now offer whitening toothpaste. The effect isn’t as dramatic as professional whitening options, but it can still make a noticeable difference over time.
Choosing the right toothpaste is much easier when you start with a clear idea of what you need. Most of the major brands offer some variation of the toothpaste products mentioned above, so you will be able to choose a familiar brand if that is important to you. If you’re still having trouble narrowing down your options, our team will be happy to help during your next visit to our dental clinic.
Need a cavity filling, cleaning, checkup, or anything in between? Loreen Wong Dentistry offers all of the dental services you need to keep your mouth healthy and happy at our dental clinic in downtown Calgary.